Enter hilarious blog title here: State Election


*HUGS* TOTAL! give Ali more *HUGS*
Get hugs of your own

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

State Election

Hey kids! Who are you going to vote for in the election this Saturday? Colin Barnett (Liberal) or Geoff Gallop (Labor)?

The people running in my district are Tony McRae (Labor) and Margaret Thomas (Liberal). And I have no idea who to vote for. Tony McRae (in power now) has done a lot of stuff for Riverton. Like the Roe Highway stuff. But Margaret Thomas actually came to my house. You know, those door-knocking politicians. And today our family got a letter from her father, saying how cool a daughter she is. True story. Oooh, and Margaret Thomas also used to live in the same suburb as me. How exciting.

So, who to vote for? I know the stuff about Margaret Thomas sounds stupid, but a lot of people vote for politicians based on likeability. For example, my Dad didn't vote for Richard Court (former premier of WA) because Richard Court didn't say hello to my Dad when they were on the street. Not that they knew each other personally, but my Dad is weird like that.

Random Quote of the Day: "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" -- Thomas Edison

*Edit* Just heard on the news that Riverton is a marginal seat. How exciting.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous is really cool because Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alison!
It's me again.

Too bad I'm no longer a West Australian but a Canberran now. It'll be so much fun voting! Well, having watched a parliament proceeding in the Parliament House, a politician's life is really boring, and stressful!

Anyway, if I was still in WA, I would probably vote for Colin Barnett only because Geoff Gallop supports gay/lesbian unions or something like that, something un-Christian. Plus, when Geoff Gallop gave a long speech at 'Church Together' last year, he made NO mention of God.

Honestly, I don't know much about politics. I'm still confused with all these terms like 'marginal seat' or 'senate' or 'house of representatives'.

Nevertheless, voting is fun.
From: Simon Ow

5:13 AM  
Blogger jeffyen is really cool because Blogger jeffyen said...

Alison, are you gonna vote 'yes, yes', 'no, yes', 'yes, no', or 'no, no'? LOL

2:08 PM  
Blogger Ali is really cool because Blogger Ali said...

Simon: But Colin Barnett wants that water-pipeline thing. I'm guessing that marginal seat means that it's an important seat because the voting is pretty much even for each political party?

Parliament House sounds cool.

Jeff: I am so NOT in favour of longer shopping hours, so I am voting 'no & no'. I think. Seeing as I don't know what the questions are yet..

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous is really cool because Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not in favour in longer shopping hours too... because I'm in Canberra! and we have shopping 7 days a week! yay!

actually... longer shopping hours make things very convenient for everyone esp those who work... it means no more long queues on thurs nite and saturdays... it's frustrating for people who work as those are the only days they can do their shopping!

However, I also agree with the family argument... u know... Sunday is supposed to be family day so no one is supposed to be working but should be spending time with family and friends. I agree with this but what about people who dont have immediate family here... for e.g international students?

i will be sooo lost if there was no shopping in canberra..

From: Simon Ow

3:36 PM  
Blogger Ali is really cool because Blogger Ali said...

But longer shopping hours is bad for small businesses. Many small businesses (like my local deli) get a lot of customers on Sundays and after hours.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous is really cool because Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geoff Gallop won, didn't he?
crap.
the 2 referendums result in 'no'?
crap.
... Simon Ow

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home