Enter hilarious blog title here: Chinese New Year


*HUGS* TOTAL! give Ali more *HUGS*
Get hugs of your own

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Chinese New Year

Well, I haven't posted in a while. I'm sure you've all been disappointed by that. I can imagine you all saying, "why hasn't Alison posted on her blog?"

Hehe.. yeah.

Anyway, for all you Asians, I hope your Chinese New Year has been good so far. I swear, the Chinese have the weirdest customs. *Note* before reading further, sorry if any of the stuff I say is wrong (includes Chinese spelling -- I spell how I would say it).

Okay, so Tuesday night we went to my grandmother/uncle's house to eat "toon neen farn". Hehe, that looks funny. The second word means 'year' and the last word means 'food/rice'. Not sure about the first word though.

Wednesday morning went to eat a disgusting vegetarian breakfast. Had to go early because my sister had to go to school. That was the earliest I've woken up in ages. Got some of my red packets... I swear, I bet the person who thought of this tradition was a kid.

Wednesday night we went to a resturant. We actually went to 'Foo Wah', opposite my church. Since I have such a big family, we needed three tables, so we didn't finish a lot of the dishes. Too bad for me, all the dishes were seafood. So my Dad had to force me to eat stuff. We had to do that 'low hay' thing, where you mix up the dish that's full of carrot and radish and (in this case) raw salmon. I learnt that my younger cousin Chris doesn't like chicken. How can you not like chicken? The weirdo.

Anyway, we're going to my grandmother's house again tonight. *big groan here*

So if you've made it to the end of this post and still understand (and aren't bored of) what I'm saying, here's just a couple of quick things...
  1. Did you know that the word 'clobber' means 'clothes'?
  2. Happy 21st birthday Dorcas! Hope you're having fun!
Random Quote of the Day: "It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it." -- Sam Levenson

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous is really cool because Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess what... I didn't realise it was Chinese New Year until I rang home and my brother told me about it. I guess in a few years I wont even know what it is. Mum told me to remember my roots as I'm chinese... i dont understand why parents like to say that all the time.
From: Simon

4:46 AM  
Blogger jeffyen is really cool because Blogger jeffyen said...

I love the monster story!! It explains a lot of things LOL

ps. It's 团圆饭。

http://chineseculture.about.com/library/weekly/aa010900a.htm

8:09 AM  
Blogger Ali is really cool because Blogger Ali said...

Hidi: well, it's not pinyin, it's how I would pronounce the words. So there =)
Haha, didn't know about the year monster, very cool man.

Simon: My parents say that to me all the time too. And you should know about CNY, what about all your red packets? Hehe...

Jeff: I so can't read Chinese! But thanks anyway...actually, I know the last word...Woohoo!

Amy: Yeah, free Tues. Not sure about Hidi though.
And you probably just think it's dirty...my grandmother's house smells like incense all the time... I don't know how they can stand the smell!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home